Let's try to figure out when is it better to sow lawn grass so that your efforts are not wasted and the plants take root well? What time of the year is considered the most optimal for this, and what does germination depend on?
When to plant a lawn: in the spring, summer or fall?
In the pictures on the Internet, fresh and evenly trimmed greens look perfect - even, uniform saturated color, without bald spots and ubiquitous weeds. However, those who have had to deal with the creation of a lawn with their own hands know from personal experience that a beautiful picture hides hard work. Growing a perfect lawn requires not only physical strength, but also certain knowledge: how to prepare the site, what mixture to choose, when to plant the grass, and how to care for it throughout the season.
To grow a flawless lawn, you need not only physical strength, but also certain knowledge.
In general, sowing can be carried out at any time, starting in spring, as soon as the earth warms up, and until autumn frosts. The main thing is not to hold out until the snow falls, when it will be too late to plant something. There is no consensus on the best timing. Someone is sure that the grass planted on the May holidays grows best, others believe that summer sowing gives results faster, and still others prefer to sow the grass mixture in the autumn months in order to get a thick green cover by the next season.
Video about the correct planting of lawn grass
In some cases, there is simply no particular choice when to create a lawn - construction work is delayed, the site is not yet prepared, and after clearing, digging and leveling the site, you need to let the ground stand under steam for at least a month before proceeding with sowing the grass mixture. All this sometimes takes a lot of time, and you no longer have to think about when it is better to plant the prepared. There are two options left: to sow seeds in the fall or wait for next year.
Despite the popularity of spring sowing, experienced specialists are inclined to believe that the end of summer is the best option.
Can you sow a lawn in the fall? Of course it is possible, and many gardeners like autumn sowing even more than spring sowing: from under the snow in spring it is so nice to watch the appearance of greenery. But here it is very important to choose the right time: either sow the grass mixture in early September, so that the plants rise before frost and you manage to process them before wintering, or plant the grass in the frozen ground until a stable snow cover - then during the winter the seeds will undergo stratification and become resistant before illnesses and in spring they will hatch together.
Despite the popularity of spring sowing, experienced specialists are inclined to believe that the end of summer is the best option. The soil at this time is well warmed up and moistened, weeds appear much less often than in spring, the seeds will have time to germinate and take root well before the frost begins. Spring sowing, although it gives a beautiful lawn, but it is more difficult to care for it because of the need for regular watering and removing weeds.
Video about harvesting strawberry seeds
Helpful hints on how to achieve the best possible grass emergence
Determining the optimal time to plant your lawn is only half the battle. To get uniform, dense shoots, you must consider the following rules:
- the site must be fully prepared a month and a half before sowing;
- make sure that there are enough nutrients in the surface layer of the soil (when leveling the site, do not cut off too large a layer of the upper layer, peat can be added to the light soil);
- apply fertilizer to the ground the day before sowing;
- in spring and summer, fertilizers rich in nitrogen should be applied, which promotes plant growth, and in autumn, the lawn should be fertilized with fertilizers high in potassium and phosphorus, but low in nitrogen, in order to increase the frost resistance of plants and strengthen the root system;
- having chosen the most successful time for planting, divide the area into squares, distributing the seeds evenly between all the squares, and sow each square first along, then across - this way you will achieve uniform shoots;
- on dry days, the sown lawn should be watered with a small-hole watering can, keeping the soil moist until the plants grow up to 6 cm, then provide abundant watering with a sprinkler, thanks to which moisture penetrates to the roots;
- the active growth of the grass is positively influenced by timely haircuts, especially the first, when the plants grow up to 6 cm.
The area for the lawn should be fully prepared for a month and a half before sowing
Of course, it would be much easier if there were certain dates when you need to sow the grass, but too many different factors affect the results of the sowing. Even experienced professionals cannot give you a 100% guarantee that the lawn will grow perfectly, no matter how long it is planted. Therefore, everyone who dreams of acquiring a green lawn in front of the house has to independently decide on the time of planting, and make every effort to get the grass well.
[Votes: 4 Average: 2.5]
There is a concept that the most suitable time for planting a lawn is in the spring, in early May. Another opinion is that it is better to sow lawn grass in August-September. Still others generally choose the end of October-November.
When to sow the lawn is up to you. Air and soil temperature directly affect the sowing time. The earth should warm up to 10 degrees Celsius, and the average daily air temperature up to 15 degrees. Such weather conditions are established in the middle zone by April - May, to the south - in March - April.
How to choose a grass mixture?
First of all, you need to take perennial grass, since the lawn is created for several years, and therefore it is pointless to plant plants with a short lifespan.
Grass mixtures are divided into the following groups:
- elite - need constant care, are quite moody
- universal - are able to take root in different conditions and are inexpensive
- wear-resistant - able to withstand physical activity
- sun-loving - suitable even for open, unshaded areas, resistant to hot weather
- shade-loving - designed for high humidity conditions, need constant care
- frost-resistant - able to withstand a snowless winter, can be perennial in a mild climate
- fast growing - used for sowing a specific area of spoiled lawn
- slow growing - seeds that do not require frequent mowing and grow slowly.
The selection of the mixture is influenced by the following criteria:
- intended use - for decorative, special or sports purposes
- availability of water
- illumination level
- intensity of exploitation.
It is best to choose seeds belonging to the group of cereals for forming a lawn, since they are more adapted to the harsh climatic conditions of our country. But not all crops can be used, but only those that meet certain requirements:
- frost resistant
- able to develop a powerful root system
- reproduce vegetatively
- have good external decorative qualities
- are able to quickly build up the cover after mowing.
The main cereals that are part of the grass mixture:
- Fescue ideal for use in wet ground. It grows very quickly, but has a fragility (4-5 years), which can be corrected if it is correctly combined with other herbs.
- Ryegrass. This grass is resistant to trampling, gives an even cover after a couple of months, but has a low sod strength.
- Bluegrass used for areas with sudden temperature changes and adverse weather conditions. This grass is able to withstand frost and drought tests, forming a dense turf.
All seeds must pass quality control, which is shown in the state or international certificate.
How to sow lawn grass correctly?
In small areas, you can sow by hand, in large areas with seeders. The soil must be moist. In the first case, we sow in parts in the forward and backward directions.
First, large seeds to a depth of 2-3 cm, then small (bluegrass, bent-grass - 0.5-1 cm) together with sand. We close it up with a fan rake or a harrow. Below is a video that will give a visual representation of the process of sowing a lawn.
There is also such a sowing technology in which the hydro-sowing method is used, when the seeds are sown together with water, mineral fertilizers and filler, latex. The consumption of the mixture is 5 liters per sq. m. Convenient to use on slopes, slopes. Shrub or flower seeds can be added to the mixture as needed.
A simple and quick, but not quite cheap way is to trowel with a ready-made turf (in a roll or slabs). After laying the turf on the prepared base, the seams are filled with sand, the canvas is rolled up and down. The main condition is abundant watering, the first mowing in 10-15 days.
Planting a lawn: professional advice
To create a first-class lawn on the site in the fall or spring, you need to apply a 5 mm surface powder. The powder is prepared from a mixture of sand and peat. It will help remove voids and level the surface of the site. A layer of powder will help the development and formation of new shoots, resulting in a dense grass stand. Spreading the surface of the lawn with a mixture of peat and sand will provide it with a beautiful and even appearance.
To improve your lawn, first trim it all the way down to the base. Use a rake to remove old grass and vegetation. If the soil is dense, pierce it with a pitchfork to a depth of 15 cm. This will help improve root growth. To improve your existing lawn, select a lawn grass mixture. It should include the same types of herbs that are in the original composition, so that after the grass grows, they do not differ much from each other.
Stir the grass seeds, you can in a bucket of sand, so you get a more even sowing. The ground must be moist. Feed the lawn with Azofosky or other mineral fertilizer in a ratio of 40 g per 1 m 2 of area.
Tillage, crushing and final cleaning
On a small plot, in the country or in the garden, processing can be done using a pitchfork or a shovel. Digging depth - 20-25 cm... or less (with a thin layer of humus). At the same time, organic fertilizers and sand are embedded in the soil, since planting a lawn on depleted soil is a futile task.
If, before planting the lawn in the country or in the garden, you do not break the earth lumps, then you will not get a flat and smooth surface, as in the photo below, since the earth will settle unevenly.
- It is easy to get rid of clods with your own hands, breaking them with a heavy rake or pitchfork; in the course of this work, stones, weed rhizomes, and debris are removed from the ground.
- Large areas are more convenient to handle with a motor cultivator.
- If spring sowing is planned, and the site is being prepared in the fall, then the lumps remaining on it can be left until the sowing period (for better drainage of the site) and leveled immediately before sowing the lawn grass in the spring.
- Before ramming (the next stage), pegs are driven in along the perimeter of the site and a rope is pulled through them. Moving from one corner of the site to another, you need to tap the pegs and pull the rope until a perfectly straight line is formed, that is, 180 °. It is desirable to have a building level to achieve this result.
ON THE PICTURE: A walk-behind tractor, a pitchfork, a rake and a trolley for collecting garbage (rhizomes, etc.) - a set of minimum for processing the site before planting a lawn.
Lawn rolls: how to plant?
Not only advertising, but also laziness is the engine of progress, for such gardeners there is a special lawn grass in rolls... For those who do not want to work again and wait a long time for the first appearance of lawn shoots on their site, there is a simple solution - lawn grass, produced in rolls.
Everything is quite simple here - a company that produces such a lawn grows it on special plantations and supplies the customer with a roll that has already been grown and rolled into a small size. Plus the lawn in rolls - the owner saves himself from the difficulties of tracking seeds and young shoots of grass, which annoying birds strive to eat.
The lawn is harvested at the planned time from the plantations with specialized equipment and all that remains for the customer to do is to plant a roll of grass on the prepared soil at his site. Then you need to wait until the grass takes root on the site, for this the owner must regularly water and cut it. Additionally, you can carry out periodic feeding.
Most often such lawn grass takes root without problems and pleases its owner with a rich green, like an emerald soft carpet, which is located next to the house.
The most important thing is to have the desire to create lawn in your area, and everything else is just a matter of technology. A little bit of effort and perseverance - and you are the owner of a luxurious lawn!
Read other interesting rubrics